Business travelers have been more open to new technologies as they have grown further dependent on mobile devices and access to Wi-Fi as a key piece of a productive trip. Travel technology has considerably transformed and it was only recently that processes were loaded down by numerous, separate systems without automation capabilities. Airlines and airports have been using the traveler experience to steer technology advancements. As travelers started to rely on technology more, airports responded with improvements to mobile content, increased capabilities of self-service kiosks, and enhanced information on digital displays.
Presently, travel trends have improved dramatically and provide an extensive range of solutions to enhance travel processes, as well as advancing the overall traveler experience. These technologies include, mobile, online booking, travel applications, traveler tracking, airport self-service kiosks, cost savings solutions, and airport digital displays.
The following are some of the top technology trends that create a seamless traveler experience, improve satisfaction, encourage compliance, and increase savings:
- Mobile technology. Though smartphones and access to Wi-Fi are essential parts of a traveler’s trip, there are several mobile technology types that can be beneficial for business travelers. Beacons and indoor positioning technology can assist travelers, particularly at airports and on planes or when a GPS is not accessible. Beacon placement at airports lets each airline, retailer, and other partner apps to generate valuable content as travelers enter various points across the airport. These improvements to the traveler experience will aid in simplifying and expediting the check-in and boarding process. Additionally, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a newer technology that has several advantages for travelers including adding microchips in luggage, as well as RFID blocking wallets and other accessories to protect documents while traveling. Airports and airlines have also added RFID technology to assist with luggage tracking.
- Online booking. Acendas has extensive experience as a Concur Travel reseller partner and our dedicated online team help us excel in providing seamless and trouble-free implementations. We also support our clients that are looking for an end-to-end solution via Concur Expense.
- Travel applications. Mobile apps have become more of a business travel requirement that enhances the complete experience whether it’s through suppliers or a booking tool. This progression of travel apps allows business travelers to use a smart device to manage and support their trips. There is a vast selection of travel related apps available including managing currencies, navigating languages, and planning a route. Acendas Travel launched our mobile app to meet the needs of our clients and their travelers. Acendas Connect stores itineraries in one app and provides instant access to flight details such as online check-in capability. Other key features of our mobile app include: upcoming trip preview, receiving traffic delay warnings en route to airport, immediate flight delay and disruption alerts, boarding notices, tracking and managing expenses via Concur, and destination traveler tools such as a currency converter.
- Real-time traveler tracking. Duty of care will continue to be a crucial responsibility for any corporation regardless of the amount of business travel. Maintaining duty of care requirements is difficult if a company does not have a process to locate travelers. There are numerous risk management tools offered by suppliers such as FocusPoint International, International SOS (ISOS), iJET, and Anvil. Acendas Travel developed Mission Control, which is the backbone of our crisis management process to track and assist our clients during events that impact traveler safety. When emergencies or other issues occur, Acendas’ operations team utilize our real-time, traveler-tracking software’s map and Mission Control to safeguard travelers and provide other options.
- Travel touch screens. Nearly all airports offer touch screens at check-in to allow travelers to skip the baggage line, which saves time and reduces airport staff. In addition, travelers can use similar touch screens during the flight to purchase Wi-fi, food, and in-flight entertainment.
- Personalized cost savings strategies. Acendas offers proprietary cost savings solutions including FareWatch that looks for lower airfare and will alert the agent, and RateWatch, which analyzes hotel bookings daily through the check-out day and will notify the agent. Additionally, Acendas’ proprietary automation, Ticketrak®, facilitates the tracking and use of non-refundable tickets. The tool syncs with the online and agent reservation systems to alert travelers and/or agent to use the available funds.
- Digital monitors at airports. These screens are used to display arrivals, departures, and gate changes. With technology improvements, digital monitors will provide more beneficial information and in real-time such as bag delays, connecting flights, and the fastest TSA lines. Soon, travelers will receive delay information alerts via mobile devices.
Want to know more about how Acendas Travel can enhance your corporate travel program, provide tailored solutions to explore all opportunities to achieve savings while controlling unmanaged spend and security risks? Our travel programs extend discounts and provide access to value-added benefits, as well as our processes and technology support policy compliance and effective program management.
In this increasing mobile world, corporations need a strategy to maintain duty of care compliance and traveler satisfaction. Business travelers’ use of mobile offers new opportunities for Travel Managers to allow instant access to communicate, advise, and affect purchase options. Mobile can be used to guide travelers to decisions through pertinent information or support. Advancing this strategy one step further is recommended by investigating how mobile can be utilized to attain your goals.
Are you ready to create a corporate mobile travel program? Our white paper details the motivations and steps to establishing a mobile travel program strategy. Click the link below for 10 Guidelines to a Successful Mobile Travel Program.